He Touched the Lives of Many

In Memoriam:

Ward Erwin Bullock, II, MD

Dr Ward E Bullock

He was a grandson of Eva F. Tallman, Dr. Ward E. Bullock, Jr. emeritus professor of medicine at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine passed away on April 17, 2007 at the age of 75.

He received his M.S. in microbiology and M.D. degrees from Temple University School of Medicine. Ward completed his residency and fellowship in internal medicine and infectious diseases at the University of Minnesota and a fellowship in internal medicine and infectious diseases at Yale University Medical Center. In subsequent years, he served as visiting professor of experimental pathology for one year each at Yale and Rockefeller University.

He first came to prominence in the 1960s for his studies of leprosy performed at the U.S. Naval Medical Research Unit in Taiwan. He published several seminal articles on the host response to leprosy. A groundbreaking article in the New England Journal of Medicine revealed the impairments of cellular immunity associated with leprosy. This paper and others reawakened international interest in leprosy research. His steady output of insightful publications on the immunopathogenesis of histoplasmosis had a major national impact on stimulating interest in medical mycology. Ward became one of a handful of clinicians in the United States who appreciated the complexities of this disease and who could care for infected individuals.

During his 45-year career, he has worked in nearly every academic capacity, including serving on the faculties at UC; the universities of Rochester and Kentucky, and as dean of the University of Connecticut School of Medicine. At UC, Bullock has served as director of the infectious diseases division and Arthur Russell Morgan Professor of Medicine (1980–94); associate chair for research (1988–89, 1993–94); senior associate dean of the College of Medicine (1989–91) and adjunct professor of molecular genetics, biochemistry and microbiology (1980–94). He was director of one of two national centers of excellence in the study of fungal diseases and was the first to bring fluorescence-activated cell-sorting technology to the UC College of Medicine.

Ward returned to UC in 2001 after spending seven years at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine. “I have a deep love for UC that dates back to when my father was a professor of mechanical engineering here,” Bullock said in the release. “I’ve had many opportunities in my professional career, but feel I owe UC a great deal for providing me with stimulus and inspiration for the work I was able to accomplish.”

In early 2007, Dr. Bullock gave the university a $1 million endowment to develop an endowed chair in the division. Being passionate about improving scholarship’s in his field The Ward E. Bullock Endowed Chair in Infectious Diseases was created.

Ward Bullock touched the lives of many people, he will be sorely missed.

Wow… she was a Biochemist

Ellen Louise Talman

In Memory of

Ellen L. Talman

January 4, 1920 – September 9, 2015

Dr. Ellen L. Talman died at home of natural causes on Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at the age of 95. Ellen was born on January 4, 1920 in Baker, Oregon. Her parents, originally from Iowa and Nebraska, moved with Ellen and her sister to Baker City, OR, and then Kelso, WA, before settling in Portland. For over 60 years she lived in the family home in southeast Portland’s Clinton Neighborhood until she moved to Hillsboro to be closer to her family.

Ellen was a woman ahead of her time. She excelled in a profession few women at the time would consider an option. Ellen attended Reed College while living at home, receiving her B.A. degree in Chemistry from Reed in 1942. She delayed her education to serve with the U.S. Marine Corp during WWII from 1943 to 1945, serving as a Marine Reserve Non-Commissioned Officer in charge of a materials testing laboratory at the Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point North Carolina. After the war Ellen attended the University of Oregon Medical School (OHSU), completing her M.S. degree in 1949 and PhD degree in 1951.

Ellen’s bright mind allowed her to excel in the field of biochemistry. From 1951 to 1955 Ellen worked in the Departments of Bacteriology, Ophthalmology and Biochemistry at OHSU, serving as an Instructor and Assistant Professor from 1955-1967. From 1961 to 1966 Ellen also served as an Assistant Scientist at the Oregon National Primate Research Center and from 1967 to 1970 as a Research Associate, Biochemist, for the OHSU Department of Surgery until her retirement in 1970.

She was an Emeritus Member of the American Chemical Society, having first joined in 1942, keeping her membership current the remainder of her life.

Ellen had two sides: The Dr. Talman who made a name for herself in a field better known to men at the time; a loving daughter to her parents; and a second mother to her nephew and his family. After retirement, she spent several years caring for her elderly parents, and was always there to help family when needed.

She had her own vegetable and berry garden, canned and made her own bread, always having a cupboard full of canned fruits as well as a freezer full of her famous home grown raspberries (now transplanted to family gardens). Her family will always treasure her pancake, bacon, egg and raspberry breakfasts in the yellow breakfast nook of her kitchen. She loved to crochet tablecloths, doilies, and blankets as she passed her time watching television. Football (Ducks and 49er’s), and Lawrence Welk, Wall Street Week and Washington Week in Review on OPB, were among her favorite programs. She had many interests, particularly the early history of the United States, and continued to learn and keep current in the areas of science and current affairs. Politically conservative, she was a longtime supporter of The Heritage Foundation, as well as Republicans for Choice. All who knew Ellen respected and loved her for her strong will and independence, as well as her brilliant mind and heart of gold. She will be missed.

Ellen was preceded in death by her parents Clarence and Zoe Talman, her brother Dale and sister Virginia Talman Brooks.

 

The Distinguished Mathematician

William Duane (Dano) Tallman

February 12, 1875 – August 19, 1961

William D Tallman photo A

William Duane Dano was born February 12, 1875 in Sterling, Arkansas. His father Duane Dano, who was merchant in Lake Village died three months before William was born. His mother Jennie (Whittemore) died in April of 1875 he was then taken in by my Great Uncle Joseph B. and Julia A. Tallman. Joseph was the County Surveyor and Julia was involved with local education. They officially adopted him January 8, 1876, however, they began having marital problems and Julia took William and moved to Sparta, Wisconsin in 1880. Their divorce was official July 24, 1880. In Wisconsin, Julia was hired in November 1886 as the first matron in in the new public “Cottage” school for neglected and dependent children in Sparta. Julia would go on to raise Duane as her own until her death on Monday, January 21, 1901.

After graduating from Sparta High School in 1892 he enrolled at the University of Wisconsin. He graduated with honors with his B.S. in mathematics and physics in 1896. While there he was a member of the honor fraternity, Pi Kappa Beta. He taught during 1896-1897 at the High School in Madison, Wisconsin. In 1897-1898 he was a fellow at the University. He then taught math in 1898-1899 at the High School in Eau Claire. Next, he returned to the University as an Assistant Instructor of Mathematics while pursuing his doctorate. During this time he completed his thesis entitled “Singularities of the Quintic Curve.” A fellow classmate was Charles Max Mason, distinguished mathematician and physicist, who became President of the University of Chicago in 1925.

As he neared the completion of his degree, he married Anna DeMuth on June 22, 1900. With a new wife to support he was offered and felt he could safely take the headship at Montana State College while still completing his degree. He was hired at Montana State on January 1, 1901 becoming the first full professor and Chair of the Department of Mathematics. Tallman and his wife had three children; Mildred, Hazel, and Duane. Mildred attended MSC for three years but did not graduate, Hazel and Duane both graduated. Mildred married C. J. Altmaier and had six children. Hazel earned a doctorate in Romance Languages from the Sorbonne in Paris and married Rodger Guillaumant, a Frenchman and an art metal worker. They returned to the United States and she later became a professor of Romance Languages at Valparaiso Indiana. Duane worked with Rodger in the art metal business.

Anna died of cancer shortly after the birth of Duane. He then married her sister Maude S. DeMuth and they had one son, William, Jr. also an MSC alumnus. William Jr. later taught mathematics and music in Florida. Maude (DeMuth) Tallman received a B.S. in Mathematics – Physics from Montana State in 1907. While at Montana State she was a member of the Hamiltonian Literary Society.

After leaving Montana State in 1945 he moved to Corvallis, Oregon where he was Acting Professor of Mathematics from 1946 to 1948. Retiring, he and Maude moved to Carrabelle, Florida and later had a radical operation for lip cancer from his ever-present cigar. He died on August 19, 1961, she died December 8, 1963 in Palmetto, Florida. They are buried in Mansion Memorial Park and Funeral Home, Manatee County, Florida.

(From the document Mathematics since February 1893 a historical file at Montana State University)

When he arrived on January 1, 1901 he rode up to the college on a street car in a howling blizzard to look the place over. For the next 45 years he literally wove his life into that of the college. Due to the heavy workload here he never returned to finish his doctorate.

Professor Tallman’s first courses at Montana State were Preparatory Geometry with 15 students; Freshman Mathematics with 25 students; and Calculus with 12 students. His first class in Differential Equations had 12 students. At the time of Tallman’s appointment no degree was offered in mathematics. Tallman at once organized many more courses in mathematics. Listed in the 1902-1903 catalog was the Collegiate Department with degrees in Agriculture, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, and a Bachelor of Science degree in several General Science groups, including Botany, Chemistry, Domestic Science, English, History, Mathematics, Modern Languages, Physics, and Zoology. Tallman taught five courses in Algebra, Trigonometry and Logarithms, Analytic Geometry, Calculus, and The Method of Least Squares, and in alternate years, seven other courses in Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations of Math. Physics, Newtonian Potential, Modern Algebra, and Advanced Analytical Geometry, Projective Geometry, and Theory of Functions. He was fond of recalling having taught as high as 26 hours per week.

He was also interested in athletics. His undergraduate specialty was track. At MAC he was frequently called in to judge track meets. An indication that athletics already played a role at MAC occurred in October 1902, when representatives from nine northwestern colleges met in Spokane, Washington to form the Northwest Intercollegiate Association, an athletics organization. Not surprisingly, Tallman was the representative from the Montana Agricultural College. He also organized the first all-state Basketball Meet. For many years he sponsored the Beta Epsilon fraternity and he was a charter member of Pi Kappa Pi. Tallman was a superb classroom teacher and a sympathetic advisor. A small group of scholarly men such as William D. Tallman, W. F. Brewer, William M. Cobleigh, Deane B. Swingle, and Robert A. Cooley must be credited with standing for (1) a more liberal program, (2) causing the school to base its offerings in Agriculture and Engineering more directly on science and mathematics, and (3) gradual elimination of the school’s trade school features. Tallman’s fond dream was a department with students and faculty capable of developing a graduate program. He was known as a two-fisted fighter and able debater in the faculty meetings. He more than once blasted unsound programs. His staff remembered him as generously sparing them whenever possible. He never assigned a task he would not perform himself. Late in his career at MSC he started a combined testing program complete with the necessary statistical study showing its validity. This was used for the next thirty years. He also authored a two volume book for the first two years of Engineering Mathematics. It was used for several years but was never formally published. His students remembered him as an artist in the classroom. His out of-class help was cheerfully given. His fondness for tobacco frequently caused his students to give him a box of cigars. He headed the Department of Mathematics until July 1945 when he retired. He was then named Emeritus Professor of Mathematics, the first from this department. Amazingly, he had been at Montana State for 45 years and had seen the presidency pass from Reverend James R. Reid, who was president when he was hired, to James M. Hamilton, named the third president in 1904, to Alfred A. Atkinson named the fourth president in 1919, to A.L. Strand named the fifth president in 1937, to Roland R. Renne, named the sixth president in 1943.

From the day he arrived in Bozeman, William Tallman strove to strengthen and broaden the Department of Mathematics’ curriculum. He recognized the importance of mathematics to the entire scientific enterprise at MAC. With the Bachelor of Science degree in several General Science groups, including Mathematics, being listed in the 1902-1903 catalog, Edna Lewis was granted the first Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics in June 1903. Lowell R. King was granted the same degree in June 1904 as well as Clyde C. Penwell in 1906. Tallman’s efforts meshed well with the vision of James M. Hamilton, the third president appointed in 1904. Hamilton’s immediate plans were to transform MAC into a high grade technical college. This movement away from a training school to a college with its offerings in Agriculture and Engineering based directly on science and mathematics was a cornerstone of Hamilton’s vision and happened to fit precisely with Tallman’s ideas that he had begun instituting the day he arrived. Unfortunately, Hamilton’s “Education for Efficiency” also led to significant change that negatively affected the Department of Mathematics. Hamilton’s primary purpose was to avoid duplication between “the University and the College of Agriculture,” the University being the state university in Missoula and the College of Agriculture being in Bozeman. Thus in 1906 the separate degree courses in History and English were combined into one. Likewise, the separate degree courses in Mathematics and Physics were combined into one. In addition, the Agriculture program was eliminated and replaced with majors in Agronomy, Animal Industry, Horticulture, and Dairy. Also, the Division of Science was created. In the 1906-1907 catalog, the Bachelor of Science degree included different General Science groups, including Biology, Chemistry, Domestic Science, History-Literature, and Mathematics-Physics. These five General Science groups were first identified as belonging to the Division of Science in that same catalog. By now, Tallman taught six courses in Algebra, Plane Trigonometry, Analytic Geometry, Calculus, Method of Least Squares, and Theoretical Astronomy, and in alternate years, six other courses in Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations of Math. Physics, Newtonian Potential, Algebra (advanced), Analytical Geometry (advanced), and Mathematico-Physical Seminary. A thesis was also required for the Mathematics-Physics degree, either in mathematics or physics. William M. Cobleigh appears to have taught all the other physics courses including seven courses in General Descriptive Physics, General Physics, Physical Measurements, Electricity and Magnetism, Electrical Measurements, Light and Sound, and Advanced Physics. In 1907 Annie T. Breneman, Frieda Mildred Bull, Maude S. DeMuth, Agnes Mountjoy, and Mabel Thorpe each earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics-Physics. In 1909 Frieda Bull earned a Master of Science degree in Mathematics-Physics. Of these early students, Annie T. Breneman, Frieda Mildred Bull, Maude S. DeMuth, Agnes Mountjoy, Mabel Thorpe, Amy Cooke, and June Hartman were all members of the Hamiltonian Literary Society.

 

 

 

 

 

Ship Designer, Author & Model Builder

Charles Gerard Davis

July 22, 1870 – January 22, 1959

Charles G Davis

Charles was one of America’s leading model ship builders; his models are readily found in museums. In the first half of the twentieth century he was an acclaimed naval architect and boating author.

Charles was the son of Mary Estelle (Tallman) and Theodore Whitehead Davis and the grandson of John Peck Higgins Tallman. Five foot eight, blue eyed Charles Gerard married Minnie Webber in 1896 she was born in 1877. Their children were Camilla born in 1897, Theodore W. in 1899, Carrie Belle in 1900 (died young) and William Tallman born in 1902. He began his love of boats and sailing at an early age. As a child growing up in Poughkeepsie he would sit on the town dock jutting into the Hudson River watching ships and listening to the boatman tales. While still a youngster his father a Civil Engineer and ex-naval officer moved the family to Brooklyn. There he took to yachting with his father and brother, while in his spare time he would rove Brooklyn’s docks watching the larger ships loading and unloading their cargo. He and his older brother, William, built their own boat in 1884, cruising the Hudson and Western Long Island Sound before purchasing, refitting and racing an old sandbagger.

In 1889 he went to work in New York as a draftsman for William Gardner, the Clydeside Scots steam yacht designer. He also filled in on a job at T.R. Webber’s boat shop where he began to do some independent designing. His eyesight became affected in 1892, his doctor recommended he find a job with less eye strain. In August ‘92’ he signed on in NYC as an AB (able seaman) at $18 a month on the Bark “JAMES A. WRIGHT” out of Boston for a trip around Cape Horn to Chile. In 2004 a book “Around Cape Horn” was written by Neal Parker from the manuscript that Charles had written upon his return. After the “Horn Adventure” he then spent another year in Gardner’s office, before again going to sea in the “J. PERCY BERTRAM” in the West Indies trade. Upon his return from this trip, he began to design racing boats for Webber and later for Larry Huntington in New Rochelle, N.Y.

In 1898 he went to work for Thomas Day founder of “The Rudder” the leading yachting magazine of its day and was its design editor for several years. At the outbreak of World War I he joined the Elco Boat builder company, managing their plans at Halifax, Nova Scotia and in Montreal where wooden submarine chasers were being assembled for England. In 1917 he became general manager of the Trailer Ship Building Corporation at Cornwells, Pa. supervising the building of wooden steam, and after the War he became associated with the United States Maritime Service. From 1925 to 1927 he was in retirement in St. Petersburg, Florida, but returned to Port Washington to work as a draftsman under A. Couch for Toms & King, Inc.

In 1935 Davis again retired. He moved to Cazenovia, N.Y. and began building ship models, many of which are on display in the Stillman Building at Mystic Seaport, Connecticut. In 1940 he was called out of retirement by the Navy to become head hull inspector for wooden PT boats and minesweepers at the Nevins, Jacobs & United Shipyards at City Island, N.Y. He retired for a third time at the end of World War II.

In 1899 he skippered the “Genesee” built for the Rochester Club but, actually represented the Chicago Club winning race 2, 3 & 4 to win the “Canada’s Cup.” The race was sailed at Toronto; the Canada’s Cup Races have been held since 1896 on the Great Lakes between The Royal Canadian Yacht Club of Toronto and an American Club. The yachts were 35-foot class with crews of six, and not to exceed 1050 pounds. The Championship was determined by the best of five races. The Canada’s Cup, which stands for supremacy of match racing on the Great Lakes, still continues in the 21st Century.

He was a charter member of the Cruising Club. He was also an enthusiastic and skillful racer of small boats, and often enlisted his sons, Theodore and William Tallman, to crew for him. As an author, he wrote many technical articles for Yachting, The Rudder, Motor Boat and other magazines. Besides the novel “Around Cape Horn” developed from his manuscript, he wrote several books on sailing ships and ship models. He died in Manor Haven on January 22, 1959 in Port Washington, Nassau Co., NY at age 80. He’s buried in Beechwoods Cemetery, New Rochelle, NY along with his wife Mimmi.

 

And now a LADY

LILLIAN “Nell” S. DURHAM

September 6, 1874 – October 16, 1950

Lillian Durham

Miss Durham was a singer and comedic actress of early burlesque and vaudeville. She was married three times, known as “Nell” to family and friends and as Lillian Durham on stage. “Nell” was the youngest of four children and the only daughter of Silas and Prudence Serenia (Tallman) Durham. She was born September 6, 1874 in Grand Rapids, Michigan, her mother Prudence was my 3rd cousin 2X removed. Just three when her father died in 1877, she and her brothers were raised by their mother who didn’t remarry again until 1892. Lillian was a talented vocalist from an early age, by her ability to sing clearly and with no apparent effort she could reach “G” above high “C.” While still just a teenager she dreamt of a career in vaudeville as an operatic soprano and actress. At just 16 in 1890, she met vaudevillian comedic actor Frederick “Fred” James Green and they married. Together they started their own production company the “Lillian Durham Co.”, one of their productions from 1895 was “Jeremiah”. A son, Fred Jr., was born 7 May 1897 while performing in Nashville; their marriage however would end with divorce in 1905.

Her reputation suffered a blow in April 1909, when she was arrested in Philadelphia for allegedly threatening attempts of blackmailing wealthy oilman William Annear. Mrs. Lillian Green, better known as Miss Lillian Durham, an actress, was held under $2,000 bail by Magistrate Harris. Mr. Annear was also held under $1,000 bail by Magistrate Boyle. In her defense, Mrs. Green appeared in answer to proceedings brought by Annear, after she had sued him for $50,000 damages for assault and battery and breach of promise of marriage.

Having taken up residence in Philadelphia, with her career suffering a downturn, she met June Stone, they would marry in January 1910 in Clark County, Indiana. They took up residence in Louisville, KY where June was the Traveling Passenger Agent for the Louisville-Nashville Railroad. June was the son of Henry Lane Stone, a member of the Kentucky State Legislature; General Council for the Louisville-Nashville Railroad; and author of “Morgan’s Men” – A Narrative of Personal Experience’s. By 1912 they moved to Los Angeles with June starting a law practice and they were writing one-act plays. He became ill September of 1913 and returned to Louisville where he died the 22nd of Bright’s disease (kidney failure).

She would finally marry George Knight in California, at the time of her passing she lived in San Francisco. She was interred in Cypress Lawn Memorial Park, San Mateo County, CA. She leaves her only son Fred J. Green, of the United Press International and four grandsons.

The following is a glimpse into “Nell’s” career path. Her early days were spent in trying to make a success of her own Company she’d started with Fred Green. However, by 1896 and beyond she would take work with several vaudeville companies of the day. First with Ferguson & Emerick in 1896; the Holden Comedy Co in 1899; The Murray & Mack Company; Webber & Fields from 1901-1904 in “Hoity Toity” as an understudy of Lillian Russel. It played at the Weber & Fields Music Hall, NYC. Weber & Fields are credited with the first burlesque theater in 1896. Briefly she was with the Charles Horwitz Co. at the Harlem Opera House and the Peters & Green Co.

She appeared with such other noted vaudevillians as W. C. Fields, Lillian Russel, Eddie Cantor, Fay Templeton, Max Bloom, Clara Howard, Harry West, and Sam Howe. Her most noted shows were the long runs of “Hoity Toity”, “The Sunny Side of Broadway” that started in 1908 again with Murray & Mack and the McSorley Twins. I believe her last Broadway appearance was but, as one of a couple of dozen Ziegfeld Glorified Girls in “Whoopee” starring Eddie Cantor with Buddy Epson in a small role. “Whoopee” based on “The Nervous Wreck” by Owen Davis ran from December 4, 1928 through November 23, 1929 (407 performances). For the first time Lillian was billed as Lillian Knight.

Lillian from The Rock Island Argus 11-27-1909

 

THE BEMUS POINT – STOW FERRY

Ferry Wayside MarkerThe ferry’s located at the “Narrows”, a crossing of 968 feet between Bemus Point, New York on the eastern side of Chautauqua Lake to Stow on the western side. Started in 1811 by Thomas Bemus an early pioneer of the County whose father had property on both sides of the Lake. It was the only way to cross the lake until the fall of 1982 when the bridge on I-86 opened to traffic.

When large steamers started operating on the lake in the 1860’s it created numerous problems for the ferry. A steel cable was installed in 1887, replacing ropes, thus being harder to break but expensive to repair. Ferry & Steamer from 30's or 40'sIn 1901 the Lakes Navigation Commission issued a requirement that steamboats sound their whistle as they approached the narrows. This gave the Ferry time to reach the shore, and allowed the drive cable to sink to the bottom and the boat passed through without incident. The last steamboat the “City of Jamestown” ceased operation at the end of 1958. In 1960 the State of New York took over control of all inland lakes.

There were numerous operators until May 3rd, 1886 when Albertus Rappoe’s Charter expired.  William Wallace Ball, Jothan Bemus & W. H. Urmson obtained a new Charter and took over the operation.  In 1887 a man named “Mep” Mason built a new ferry which operated by a steel cable, pulleys and hand crank.  When William died in 1898 the operation became a Company enterprise with Alton Wells Ball as President. Alton W Ball & Nora A Tallman (2)Alton married my first cousin twice removed, Nora A. Tallman on 18 June 1892 in the Ashville Methodist-Episcopalian Church by Rev. J. P. Burrows. Alton and Nora both came from early pioneer families to the County. Nora once was interviewed by Floyd L. Darrow for his book on the History of North Harmony about the Tallman’s. She was 10 when her Grandfather John James died in 1883 and retold the story he passed on to her of the family move in 1848 from Chestnut Ridge in Dutchess County to their new farm in what was then the Town of Harmony. John “traveled with his children by wagon pulled by oxen, camping along the way.” His wife Sally stayed with her family until John was settled on the new farm.

Manual operation of the ferry ended in May of 1902, when, Alton and his brother Ralph installed a naphtha fired steam engine. Then in 1908 it was again changed this time to a single cylinder gas engine. Alton W BallAlton was also known as a boat builder and may have been involved with building some of the steamships. The winter of 1915 he built a new ferry that began service April 1st, 1916 with a capacity to carry 6 automobiles and now using a four cylinder engine. The family business was incorporated in 1921 as the “Bemus Point to Stow Ferry.” 1924 saw another growth of the business with two ferries operating simultaneously from both sides of the Lake passing in the middle. Alton bought out the business in 1925 becoming the sole owner and built what would become the last ferry in 1928. Alton and Nora had two sons Gerald Alton in 1898 and Earl Cecil in 1901. Both, as youths helped out with the operation. Gerald entered the Army Tank Corps in October 1918 and was discharged December 1st from Camp Dix (1). Gerald went to work for Curtiss Aeroplane in Buffalo before entering the service and again upon discharge. When Curtiss closed he moved to Detroit there he married Adeline Stella Barnes in 1922. Prior to 1930 however, he returned home and re-entered the family Ferry business. Earl became an accomplished mechanic, in 1926 he married his cousin Gladys Ball and permanently moved to Los Angeles (2). On an average day, 80 trips would be made and 350 motor vehicles would be transported, at a fare of 30 cents for an automobile and 10 cents for each passenger.

With Alton’s sudden death at the start of the “42” season Gerald took over and promised to run it for at least that season. In 1943 the ferry was sunk at Stow, Gerald said he didn’t know what happened, but most people thought he sunk it so he could leave and go to Erie, Pa., for a good-paying wartime job, which he did. Nora would begin a routine of spending winters with Earl in Los Angeles and return to Stow in the spring. Alton and Nora are buried in Magnolia Cemetery, North Harmony, New York alongside several of their Ball and Tallman ancestors.

With the end of the of the 1942 season the Ball family would leave a lasting Chautauqua Lake legacy of being its longest operators. 1944 the County acquired and operated it until the I-86 Bridge opened. Today, it’s operated seasonally by a non-profit organization running as a tourist attraction. It remains as one of the last cable drawn Ferry’s in America.

NOTES:

(1) World War I had ended, Gerald was discharged on demobilization of US Troops.

(2) Alton had two brothers (Frank & Ralph) living in the Los Angeles area and another in Oregon which may have been part of Earl’s lure there. After Alton’s death Nora would spend many winters with Earl and his family in Los Angeles and summers at Stow until her passing in 1959.

REFERENCES:

“A Ferry Tale” by Art Thomas published 2011 by the Town of North Harmony.

Sea Lion Project Limited, the current operators of the Ferry.

Byron M. Talman in the 22nd New York Cavalry

Byron M. Talman in the 22nd New York Cavalry

by Anne van Leeuwen, descendant, Colorado

with editing by Jon Tallman, distant cousin

This article is about Perinton, New York’s Byron Talman (1838-1909); the 22nd NY and the capture of Confederate raider Major Harry Gilmor.

The 22nd NY Cavalry existed during the last eighteen months of the Civil War, when fighting closed on the Confederate capital in Virginia. Much of this time, the 22nd NY Cavalry regiment was assigned to the 3rd Division of the Cavalry Corps. The 3rd Division was commanded by General George Armstrong Custer, who had established a reputation at Gettysburg. The Cavalry Corps was under the overall command of General Philip Sheridan, whose battle experience included Stones River, Chattanooga, and Chickamauga.

The 22nd participated in two great campaigns — the Overland Campaign and the (Shenandoah) Valley Campaign. During the Overland Campaign, Sheridan’s Cavalry Corps was attached to Ulysses S. Grant’s Army of the Potomac as it progressed southward toward the Confederate capital, fighting battles at the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, and Cold Harbor. When battle lines became entrenched at Richmond and Petersburg, Grant made Sheridan’s Cavalry Corps into the autonomous Army of the Shenandoah. Their mission was to halt Confederate military operations in western Virginia and to eliminate the threat of attack on Washington. The Valley Campaign fought battles at Opequon or (Third Winchester), Cedar Creek, and Waynesboro. All of these battles, from the Wilderness to Waynesboro, are considered major battles, critical to the war’s outcome. The valley being rich fertile farmland serving as the breadbasket to Confederate troops (6). The 22nd fought them all within a six month period and suffered high casualties. 22nd casualties included 3 officers and 22 men killed, or died of wounds; 1 officer and 178 men died of disease, accidents and all other causes; total, 204. Of this number, 87 men died in Confederate prisons (6). The regiment especially distinguished itself at Kearneysville, Dinwiddle Court House and White Oak swamp.

The legacy of the 22nd or Rochester Cavalry and the Cavalry Corps is significant. When the war began, the Union Army had no effective cavalry. In contrast, the Confederacy had the illustrious cavalryman Maj. General J.E.B. Stuart. By the end of the campaigns, Stuart had been removed and the reputations of Custer and Sheridan established. In his farewell address to the division, Custer said, “In the past six months, although confronted by superior numbers,… you have never lost a gun, never lost a color, and have never been defeated.”

At Perinton on 12 October 1863, Talman was among the first to enlist in Company A of the 22nd NY Cavalry. He was elected (6) their First Sergeant, as more men volunteered, Companies B through M were formed. Talman was 25, had a wife (1), and had already sailed the Atlantic and Mediterranean. His father was an abolitionist who had campaigned for Lincoln in Perinton and Rochester. Talman served as First Sergeant through the Overland Campaign. For the Shenandoah Campaign, he was commissioned 18 Aug 1864 to second lieutenant in Company H. Later, he would command Company M as a Brevet (6) Captain and would frequently be in command of the battalion or regiment. He was mustered out 1 Aug 1865 officially as a second lieutenant.

Byron Talman CalvaryByron Talman, a cavalry officer in the field (ca. 1864)

Talman received a gunshot wound to his left arm at Opequon (Winchester). There are several accounts. General Custer reported, “The enemy upon our approach delivered a well-directed volley of musketry, but before a second discharge could be given my command was in their midst, sabering right and left.” Talman’s brother, a journalist and historian, wrote, “he was shot in the left arm while leading a charge, but fought on until, faint from loss of blood, his colonel forced him to the rear.” In his promotion to Brevet Captain and the command of Company M, the Army record cited his “gallant and meritorious services at the Battle of Winchester, Va.” A report dated March 16, 1865 from George Sperry, Assistant Regimental Quarter Master, 22nd NY Cavalry stated in an assault near Rock Fish Gap that “four of the nine battle flags were captured” and lists Lt. Talman among many others being present.

Major Harry Gilmor was a Confederate raider who destroyed railroad bridges near Washington in Maryland and West Virginia. As the Confederacy grew desperate, Gilmor terrorized civilians and burned the town of Chambersburg, Penn, under orders from General John McCausland (6) nearly to the ground.

Gilmor’s Capture, recorded from another regimental history of that time, told that, Sheridan had scouts “Jessie Scouts.(2) Union soldiers who had been selected for their courage and fitness for this dangerous work. They tracked Gilmor, and on 4 Feb 1865, they found him in bed, sound asleep, his revolver on a chair nearby. Gilmor was imprisoned for the remainder of the war. (Military records indicate the 22nd Cav were at Moorefield, WV Feb 4-6.)

Byron Talman’s role in Gilmor’s capture is unclear, as the story was not told during his life, but it is consistent with the known facts.

  • Was Talman ever a scout for Sheridan? (Probably(6)) In the Monroe County Mail (3 4) dated 13 Feb 1919, Talman’s brother wrote, “In the Battle of the Wilderness, Byron led a squad of troopers detailed to carry dispatches between Gen. Grant and his corps commanders who included Sheridan and half the time was inside the Confederate lines.” This is consistent with deployment of the regiment at the Wilderness.
  • Was Talman serving as Sheridan’s scout in February 1865? (Probably(6)) The Army record indicates that he was present but unattached to a command from January through March 1865.
  • Was Talman involved with Gilmor’s capture? (Doubtful, “Jessie’s Scouts” were all handpicked men working mostly in enemy territory(6)) In the Monroe County Mail (3 4) dated 15 Nov 1909, Talman’s brother writes, “he was the captor of Major Harry Gilmor, the famous Baltimore officer, whom he chased for three days and nights. (5)

(1) Probably unbeknownst to Byron, his wife Elizabeth was already pregnant with their first child.

(2) From Wikipedia: created by John C. Fremont as irregular troops operating in the south dressed as Confederate wearing a white handkerchief over their shoulders and commanded by Maj. Henry Young.

(3) Byron’s younger brother John Talman Jr. held a career in the newspaper industry from the 1870’s thru 1908. In 1909 he went to work for the Minnesota Historical Society; even then he contributed numerous articles on many subjects in both newspapers and magazines. In studying a number of his articles it may be noted he often embellished them.

(4) In 1866 Col. Harry Gilmor wrote “Four Years in the Saddle” published by the Harper Bros. and on pages 173-4 he describes Union Major Harry Young along with four men as his captors. Additionally, he went on to describe that they were dressed as Confederates. That upon leaving there were an additional 200 Union Cavalry drawn up across the river. “The 22nd Pennsylvania Cavalry and Ringgold Battalion” by S. C. Farr 1911 pages 448-9 tells a similar version. This unit served in the Shenandoah and many of its soldiers were from Chambersburg, which was burned 30 July 1864.

(5) John’s account of “he was the captor” mocks Gilmor, who was an exceptional braggart, boasting in the newspapers and defying his pursuers.

(6) Editors comments, additions, corrections.

 

Byron Talman SittingByron Talman

After the war, Talman and his wife Elizabeth Thompson first moved to Minnesota before moving on to Iowa and the quiet life as a farmer. They would become the parents of eight children, 4 sons and 4 daughters. Byron and was buried in Williams Cemetery 1909 near his grandchildren in Williams, Iowa. Tragically, an 1896 tuberculosis epidemic took the lives of three of his grandchildren (by daughter Ida May) — except my grandfather Frank.

A Privileged Boyhood

John “Jack” Lathrop Tallman

November 16, 1898 – October 24, 1958

Jack TallmanJack’s childhood is put together from a diary his mother kept of their life. A family heirloom which I was very fortunate to acquire a few years ago.

John “Jack” Lathrop Tallman was born at 9 AM at the family residence at 55 Pineapple St., Brooklyn, NY he weighed 9 lbs. The only child of John Francis Tallman and Mai Comstock Lathrop. His grandparents were John P. H. and Sarah J. (Anderson) Tallman of Poughkeepsie, NY and Norman B. and Sarah (Comstock) Lathrop of Torrington, CT. He was christened Jan. 10, 1899 at home by his uncle Rev. Dr. Maltbie D. Babcock. His parents were married in Syracuse April 16, 1896 by Rev. Babcock. Rev. Babcock was the husband of John’s sister Katherine.

In September 1903, they moved to 39 S. Oxford St. Brooklyn. For whatever reason John and Mai’s marriage started souring; from the diary it’s indicated that in May 1904 she stored all her things and in June she and Jack moved to Syracuse. Jack would spend his formative years growing up in Syracuse around the Babcock’s. Mai’s older sister was married to Howard Babcock and her sister-in-law Katherine was married to Rev. Maltbie Babcock.  In October 1905, he learned to ride a bicycle, in February ‘06’ he had the 3 day measles and during the summer he learned to swim and dive. That September he entered Prescott Elementary and in December he came down with the mumps which he promptly gave to his Aunt Katherine. In 1907 he skipped a grade to 5th and again in ‘08’ he skipped two grades to 7th. In August of 1908, he learned to play golf and the next month his father bought him his first set of clubs; he got a first baseman’s glove that Christmas. The summer of 1909 was spent playing golf and tennis every day on Block Island. Located 13 miles off the south coast of Rhode Island the island is known as a popular summer tourist destination. Almost every Christmas was spent at the Babcock’s in Syracuse. In the summer of 1911, with his parents temporarily back together, they went on a family trip. Their first stop was at Niagara Falls, then a steamer on to the Thousand Islands, leaving there they shot the rapids of the St. Lawrence to Montreal. From there they sailed on to Quebec and then back to Montreal where they would head south down to Lake Champlain, visiting the Ausable Chasm known as the Grand Canyon of the Adirondacks. They stayed at Lake George where they fished and Jack shot his first rifle.

Jack entered North High School January 1912 graduating the fall of 1913, age 16, where he played baseball, hockey, tennis and golf. That summer he went to Nova Scotia and Newport with his father, then with his mother to Block Island where he won his first golf tournament. In the fall of ‘13’ he entered Dr. Holbrook’s Military Academy in Briar Cliff on the banks of the Hudson River, NY. Besides learning military drill skills, he studied math, Latin, German and French. His summer break of 1914 again started with 2 weeks at Block Island before going back to Syracuse the rest of the summer where he learned to ride a motorcycle. In 1915 he played on the school’s baseball team and graduated Cum Laude in June and went back to his mother’s in Syracuse. Starting in August he attended Syracuse University summer classes where he studied drawing and German. As usual he found time to again return to Block Island for a couple of weeks, this time by himself. He took a two-year course in bookkeeping and stenography. July of 1916 was spent attending a military training camp at Plattsburg. In August, he found his first job working at the Syracuse Herald-Journal for $12 a week and was tutored three evenings a week in Spanish.

In February 1917, he moved back to Brooklyn with his father. No one knows for sure but, it may have been due to the heart problems his father suffered from. He went to work at the Cuba Cane Sugar Co at 42 Wall Street, New York City earning $60 a month. The United States entered WW I in April of 1917 and Jack enlisted in the Naval Reserve in December. The Cane Company gave him a Christmas bonus. His dad died suddenly from heart failure the 12th of January 1918 and his mother came to stay with him. Not long after, he informed the Company he was leaving to enter active duty; for his dedication they gave him a wrist watch and a check for $200. In March, he was sent to Pelham Bay Naval Station, NYC where he earned a Quartermaster rating and was sent to Officer Candidate School. He was now 19, an Ensign and transferred to a Communication School. When the Armistice was signed the end of October he was discharged from service. It was then while visiting a boyhood friend at Princeton who convinced him to also enroll there.

While at Princeton he was on the Rowing Crew, played Hockey, was Manager of the Cottage Club, Pres. of the Musical Club and leader of the Glee Club. Like his earlier education experiences Jack graduated from Princeton with Honors in 1922. Through a Princeton friend he took a two-year training program with Goodyear Tire Company in Akron, Ohio starting in the factory learning the processes. Next stop in the Ad department and then in Sales working his way to number 25 out of 625 Salesmen. He was then transferred to Manchester, New Hampshire as Branch Manager. Following Goodyear he would make a number of moves working his way up the ladder in the “Advertising world.”

His first would be in Boston to work for the Carroll J. Swan advertising company for a year and a half. Now, with some experience under his belt, his next move was to the Blackman Company as an account executive in New York City. His accounts there were Proctor & Gamble, U.S. Rubber and Socony Vacuum. In March 1930, he took a position as assistant manager of the J. Walter Thompson Advertising Agency in Antwerp, Belgium. His wife would move with him but, it was short lived due to his suffering appendicitis in May. The surgery was performed in the American Hospital in Paris. He remained in the hospital till mid-August when they sent him to the London office where he only stayed three weeks. Whether he quit or it was a mutual decision he returned home to Syracuse and in November 1930 took the same position with Barlow (Soule), Feeley & Richmond Ad Agency there. He was promoted to manager in August 1931 and stayed in that position until March of 1934. That month he accepted a position as Advertising Executive for the Curtis Publishing Company at a base salary of $8,500 plus commissions. Curtis Publishing owned the Saturday Evening Post, Ladies Home Journal, Country Gentleman and Holiday Magazines. Jack’s responsibility was with the Saturday Evening Post with a territory of New York and Connecticut. He purchased a home in Darien, Connecticut before moving to New Canaan in 1947. He kept his position with the Post for 23 years until 1957; learning that he too like his father before him had heart problems and made a decision to retire.

Because of his health he made the decision in September of ‘57’ to move the family to Scottsdale, Ariz. They bought a new home there at 7011 Jackrabbit Road. For a while he did real-estate sales for Caldwell Banker until making acquaintances with Tom Chambers who had recently started a company called Ranch Wagon Foods a specialty food company. At the time, sales of boutique specialty foods was a $70 million dollar business. Jack became Tom’s partner handling distribution in July of ‘58.’ As it turned out, it was a very short lived partnership as Jack succumbed to a heart attack on October 24, 1958 in St. Joseph’s Hospital. He was remembered by all his friends as “Jack”; and an excellent Golfer. He won Club Championships in Connecticut at Wee Burn Country Club and was a past Governor of; also at Woodway Country Club and New Canaan Country Club. A lover of Sports Cars and racing he owned a Morgan and a Porsche. While in Scottsdale he was member of Scottsdale Country Club and Paradise Valley Country Club. An interesting note from his mother’s diary dated January 1918 reads “father died on the 12th at his house 711 Park Place, Brooklyn, NY very suddenly of heart trouble”.

He married first to Isabel Dickinson Maltby on May 4, 1929 in Greenwich, Conn. by the Rev. Dr. Charles G. Sewall, she was born May 8, 1902 in Corning, NY. They went on a honeymoon cruise after the wedding to Europe returning June 2nd to the Port of New York. In 1941 they built a new house in New Canaan moving in March 1942. In April of 1945, Isabel and Jack separated and Isabel obtained a divorce in Florida May 1946. No children.

On Oct. 3, 1947, he married Martha (Pace) Livesay whom he had met in Darien; she too was a divorcee with two young boys. She was a graduate of Baldwin School in Bryn Mawr, Penn. a well-known college prep school for girls and then attended Sarah Lawrence College.

Jack & Martha (Pace) Tallman Dec 1952 at Le Cog RougeJohn and Martha are buried in Green Acres Memorial Park at the corner of N. Hayden and E. McKellips Rd. in Scottsdale, AZ. The picture above of Jack & Martha was taken in December 1952 at Le Cog Rouge 65 East 56th Street, NYC celebrating after the Broadway Play “Grey-eyed People” which starred Walter Matthau.

To provide some background into Jack’s lineage is the following:

His grandfather John P. H., had been a prominent Poughkeepsie Lawyer, later a Judge and involved in many outside successful businesses. His father, was also a lawyer, obtained his bachelor’s and master’s from Syracuse University. He started his career practicing in Poughkeepsie before accepting a management position for New York Life in New York City and finally in charge of underwriters for the Mutual Life Insurance in Brooklyn. He was also a noted art collector. His father-in-law, Norman Lathrop was a successful merchant and store owner in Torrington, Conn. Jack’s father in-fact had to pay a dowry in order to marry Mai Lathrop. Even though they separated, from the diary it’s easy to determine they maintained a friendly relationship and spent a number of family vacations together.

A Tallman Who Fell from Grace

David Newton Tallman

A Man who “Fell From Grace”

Jan. 22, 1872 – Apr. 23, 1958

by Jon Tallman

David will always be one of my special cousins, being that rare double cousin. His grandfather Solomon was a 2nd cousin of my gg-grandfather John  J. but, even closer his grandmother Jane was a younger sister of my gg-grandmother Sarah “Sally”.  And they’re farms were next to each other on Chestnut Ridge.

DN NewtDavid was the third child of David Solomon Tallman, the Town of Washington’s Supervisor and Commissioner of Highways his mother was the former Angeline Hall.  David spent his formative years growing up on the family farm in South Millbrook, Dutchess County, New York.  As a youth he was educated in the local schools and was actively involved with sports, especially baseball.  His grandparents were Solomon and Jane Ann (Newton) Tallman whose farm had been on Hammond Hill Road located on Chestnut Ridge.  His given name came from his great grandfather David Newton.

His siblings were older brother Akin Solomon b.1868 d.10/31/1929; a clerk for 27 years for Congressman John H. Ketchum and then as personal secretary to Hamilton Fish II and Edward Platt.  In 1920-21 he was a clerk on the Committee for Banking & Currency.  His other brother Isaac b.1870 d.10/31/1950 followed in their father’s footsteps.  Isaac, also an accomplished Trap Shooter competed in tournaments in New York and throughout the east.  In 1900 he competed at the Grand Opening of the Interstate Park in Queens, N.Y. which featured Annie Oakley who was entered in the live bird contest.  His younger sister Elizabeth b.1876 d.8/12/1940 was a well know local seamstress.  His siblings never married and Isaac and Elizabeth were caretakers of the family farm in South Millbrook.

David prepared for college at Seymour Smith Institute in Pine Plains, NY.  In 1893 he graduated from Union College in Schenectady with a degree in Civil Engineering.  He was the Class Historian, a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity, his senior year won the Engineering prize for his thesis on “Civil Engineering”.  Active in sports, he was a pitcher on the college baseball team and 1892 was elected its team captain.

Like many at the time seeking his fortune and future in the west he moved to Willmar, Minnesota in 1893.  Obtaining a clerks job in the superintendent’s office of the Great Northern Railway; probably due to his being an acquaintance of the superintendent William Thorne, second son of Samuel Thorne, of Millbrook.  There he met and married Gertrude Clara Adelaide Larson the daughter of Andrew Larson one of its wealthy pioneer citizens.

The daily papers of Willmar and those of St. Paul have long articles giving a glowing account of their wedding, which occurred Tuesday, March 27, 1894.  The ceremony was solemnized in St Luke’s Episcopal Church, which was beautifully decorated for the occasion with potted plants, and cut flowers in banks and festoons, which gave the appearance of a fairyland.  All that wealth could afford was done to make the occasion what it was—one long to be remembered in Willmar society.  The bride, who is the daughter of Mr. Andrew Larson, a wealthy merchant and banker of Willmar, is a general favorite on account of her social position, her beauty, her charming disposition and her considerable attainments in art and music.

The wedding march was rendered while the groom, his best man and the ushers, followed by the six bridesmaids, dressed in white, with white roses, and the bride leaning upon the arm of her father, marched to the chancel rail.  The bride’s dress was cordon pleated white satin with pearl trimmings, heavy lace veil, and in her hand she carried a white prayer book and a white rose.  The reception at the spacious residence was from 8:30 to 10 p. m., during which the bride and groom, amid the discourse of the best music, received congratulations from the scores of guests present.  The presents were costly, beautiful, and seemed innumerable.  Of one which was not visible, the Willmar papers say, “It came-from a wealthy father, and consists of an annual income sufficient to keep them in comfortable circumstances the rest of their days.”

The groom is a thorough gentleman, and has never disappointed his many friends who predicted a fine future for him.  He graduated from Union College, Schenectady, NY with honors.  All his many friends will rejoice at his social success, and be glad also to hear that be holds a very responsible position in the general office of the Eastern Minnesota Railroad in West Superior.

His family, friends and business associates, simply referred to him as “DN” or “Newt”.  Later years while on the golf circuit he picked up the nickname “Tolly” by golfing buddies.  David would earn a real life story that reads better than science fiction.  While in his prime, he would become one of the wealthiest men in Minnesota a self-made millionaire who lost it all.

David and Clara would have five daughters, Helen Margaret b.2/1895, Esther Jane b.10/1898, Gertrude May b.6/26/1902 and twins Margaret Angeline and Marjorie Mary b.6/26/1905.  In 1900 he was a Minnesota delegate in Philadelphia that helped nominate William McKinley and Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt to the White House.D N Tallman Family 1915

Three years after starting with the Great Northern, he was in the banking business, joining his father-in-law Andrew. By 1897 he began acquiring independent telephone companies and formed the Minnesota Central Telephone Co. with about 2000 miles of toll line and 26 local exchanges. In 1902 he announced the expenditure of $250,000 to update and improve its facilities. After seven years in the telephone business, he divested his interests to focus his attention to the Willmar Realty Co. which he started in April 1902 with $30,000 capital. In April 1905, he formed the Dakota Development Co. and the Farmers’ Lumber Company. In May of 1906 with $100,000 in capital stock he started the Northern Town & Land Co. Both companies were engaged in developing townsites along the Great Northern system where the railroad was building new rail spurs. Finally in January 1907 with $500,000 capital stock the Tallman Investment Co.,  with D. N. president and treasurer, father-in-law Andrew Larson vice-president and Sigurdt B. Qvale secretary, this was done for convenience in overseeing all his companies. The Town Site business was probably partially financed through the 1909 sale of 482 acres of his livestock farm (at the time the largest in Minnesota) to the State. September 29, 1909 an auction was held to sell all the farm implements, remaining animals and feed, crop, etc. In 1911 the State built the Willmar State Hospital there and in 1917 expanded and renamed it the Willmar State Asylum. Another part of his farm became the Willmar Country Club (today Eagle Creek Golf Course). David helped with the design of the first nine holes which opened in 1931. David is also acknowledged as having been able to acquire the funding to have the Willmar Public Library built, opening in 1904. Having Andrew Carnegie as acquaintance, who at the time was giving matching funds based on the Carnegie formula to cities for library construction, which allowed the Library to be built. The Town Site business can be directly attributed to his personal friendship with Louis W. Hill, the son of James J. Hill, Great Northern’s chairman. At first, Hill’s Great Northern had an agreement with Frederick H. Stoltze, a St. Paul Coal and Lumber dealer. After some dealings in which there were only minor successes, Hill knew that Stoltze was not the man to entrust with future sites. By 1905 Louis, had now assumed control of the Great Northern from his father; asked his personal friend Tallman to take the lead in these ventures as the Great Northern was in stiff competition with the Canadian “Soo Line.” Hill’s organization determined where the railroad towns should be built and the desired size of each calculated on the potential grain freight business. It should be noted here that the Dakota’s and Montana were in the heart of the Great Wheat belt known for its spring wheat. Eureka, SD held the distinction of once being the “wheat capital of the world”. Tallman then designed 3 or 4 master plan layouts of the towns that would meet the specs’ of the railroad. However, before any advertising or sales could begin; the proposed Town plats had to be filed and the lots had to be staked. All told, Tallman became the principal investor of 125 small towns in Montana and in North and South Dakota.

These new towns were advertised widely in the press and were launched by auction.  Tallman hired Willard F. Hanks, a savvy salesperson, to attract merchants to establish good trade opportunities in the new towns.  Adds such as: “Splendid openings for all lines of business, in a territory already noted for its productiveness.  Each Town has an enormous territory both North and South which means big business and large profits.”  Promises of establishing a lumber company to furnish supplies for building construction was a known factor.  Tallman established banks in 42 of these towns and was the president; he also established 24 lumber companies.

One of his Towns “Tolna, ND” includes a little insight about it’s history and “Newt” click the link below.

http://www.cityoftolna.com/history.htm

One of his banks in Montana came about as follows:  The Havre National Bank of Havre, MT. was founded on July 1, 1909 with a capitol of $50,000 with $10,000 surplus.  Frank Chestnut owned the buildings that originally housed the bank; Directors included Tallman (pres.), C. F. George of Helena, M. L. Helgerson (vice-pres.), ex-mayor E. F. Burke, and A. L. Herrig, cashier, of Havre.  Tallman’s string of banks were in Minnesota, Montana and North Dakota.  Helgerson, also controlled his own Land Company of Lethbridge, Canada and Minnesota.  Major stockholders in the Havre National Bank also included Louis W. Hill.  Another major stockholder in a number of his banks was Sigurdt B. Qvale the mayor of Willmar.  The Tallman Investment Company purchased the lot at a cost of $7,500 with the aid of E. C. Carruth, prominent local real estate and insurance salesman.  The new bank building completed in 1910, was described in the “St. James Plaindealer” of Minnesota –as being 30-by-80 feet and having a basement with the first floor being devoted entirely to the bank.  The front of the building held a “court” for the transaction of banking business and had massive mahogany fixtures and furniture with marble counters having brass latticework.  The floor had multi colored tile blocks and the whole interior had a “rich appearance”.  It was the central bank for several branches in northern Montana including Galata, Concord, Dunkirk, Brady, Collins, and Dutton.  In 1912, the county attorney, coroner, assessor, and superintendent of schools were all located there because of a shortage of space.  Rent was $210 per month.  The Havre National Bank did not remain at this location long, however, as they relocated to the old Citizen’s Bank location at 228 First Street in 1913.

David’s financial collapse went as follows: “he told that with WWI he lost most of his good men and after the War, property values fell from $100/acre to $20.” Times were tough in the 1920’s, dry years, plant diseases and insect infestations took their toll. When the Great Depression set in, during the 30’s half the population was on relief and Tallman’s banks held loans primarily to farmers. Farmers were unable to bring in enough crops to market, bringing them to their knees and thus his empire started its collapse. He was now losing his fortune faster than he had made it. Another factor he may not have recognized that certainly contributed were the railroads competition for freight and Towns with grain elevators. The two railroads were continually spec’ing towns practically side by side and in most cases only one succeeding to attract growth. One 1952 story about Tallman included the mention that he had lost “$600,000 in one nightmarish stretch”. However, he didn’t lose his fortune all at once. He was still well off enough in 1927 to take Clara and the twins on trip to Egypt where they can be seen riding camels at the Pyramids of Giza and the Great Sphinx. His holdings were so large it wasn’t until the late 1940’s that he eventually lost their house.

DN never let this fall from grace get him down. From a letter dated October 12th 1936 quote- “After all when Depressions come that you had nothing to do with-and sweep away life’s work why should one go “nutty” about it, as so many have.” In a number of his letters he talked about his blessed home life with his wife and daughters.

Tallman could count among his personal friends the likes of such as Louis W. Hill, Pres. of the Great Northern; Murry Guggenheim and his son Edmund A. of the Mining Industry; Robert A. Stranahan, founder of Champion Spark Plug; Hall of Famer – Babe Ruth; Jack Ryerson whose father helped organize the US Golf Association; David Draper Dayton of Dayton Dry Goods Stores.

Newt's TrophiesAt age 50 he took up golf and won 142 trophies.  Tallman was dubbed “Minnesota’s Grand Old Man of Golf” in a 1952 profile published by the West Central Tribune of Willmar.  When it comes to stars of Minnesota golf, there’s one star that stands with the all-time greats but remains largely forgotten to modern players.  Tallman is arguably one of the most accomplished senior golfers of all time.  He won four Minnesota Senior Golf Championships, a feat trumped only by Runcie Martin who won five.  On the National stage he won a National Seniors Championship.  At 55 he played in the 1927 US Amateur Championship held at Minikahda Club won by Bobby Jones Jr. in Minneapolis but failed to qualify.  For seven years he played in the Seniors National Golf at Apawamis Country Club in Rye, NY.  He finished second twice and played on the US team against Canada and England.  He played golf often with Babe Ruth in Belleair, FL. during the spring training season.  He won numerous Midwestern and Southern senior titles.  He was posthumously inducted into the Minnesota Golf Association’s Hall Of Fame in June 2010.DN left and Babe Ruth 2

“He was a fantastic putter; he could putt up a storm” says Richard Larson of Willmar.  As a teenager Larson caddied for “DN” for a handful of years starting in 1949 by which time Tallman was 77.  “I never heard DN complain (unless it was a golf shot that went bad),” wrote Larson, his former caddie.  “He was a very upbeat guy.  Very likeable, he was short of stature at that time and kind of shuffled along.  He always looked forward to that next shot.  He was sharp as a tack, fun to be with and knew a few jokes.  He was quick on the draw”.  Though Tallman stopped golfing competitively in the early1940’s he continued to shoot his age even as he approached his 80th birthday.  “By the time I started caddying for him, he had become a smaller version of the athlete he had been,” Larson wrote in a letter about Tallman.  “He used a wood as a cane when he walked around the course.  Even though they had electric carts at that time, he chose to walk.  As I look back, I’m sure he did this to keep his strength up.  When I caddied for him, he couldn’t hit the ball a great distance, but he made up for it with accuracy”, Larson added.  “He did shoot his age a few times when I caddied for him.”  He served as President of the Minnesota Golf Association for five years from 1925 through 1930.

The following is a quote from his granddaughter Jean Tallman (Wilson) Buechner.  “I will share with you a story from 1946 when Babe Ruth came to Cleveland to play golf with ‘Newt’.  They met twice a year for golf in Hot Springs, Arkansas.  When ‘The Babe’ was introduced to me at age 14, I thought I was going to be given a Baby Ruth bar.  I am looking at that autograph right now.  Then the 2 golfers played at our little country club in Pepper Pike, Ohio”.

Of his five daughters; Helen married Willard Ware Wilson a Trust officer with the Cleveland Trust Co. one of the largest banks in Ohio.  D. D. Dayton of the Dayton Store Empire sent a wedding gift by aero-plane from Minneapolis to Helen on her wedding day.  Esther married W. V. Freeman son of Right Rev James Edward Freeman the 3rd Bishop of Washington, DC.  Gertrude married Frank Roos a 1925 graduate of the Univ. of Minnesota.  Marjorie married Vendale Lundquist a Willmar judge and attorney.  At least two of David’s daughters learned the game well from their father.  In 1924 Esther Tallman Freeman was the Minnesota Women’s Amateur Champion defeating Mrs. Dow L. George at the Minneapolis Country Club.  In the same year she also won the women’s Division of the Resorters Tournament at Alexandria Golf Course, Alexandria, MN.  She was the 1922 Runner-up of the Minnesota Women’s Amateur at Interlachen Country Club.  Daughter Helen Tallman Wilson in 1938 won the Tracey Cup at The Country Club of Cleveland, OH.

David Newton Tallman died April 23rd 1958 nearly 2 years following his Clara’s passing.  They are buried overlooking Foot Lake in the Lakeview Section of Fairview cemetery in Willmar.

Major Golfing Accomplishments

November 1st 2010: Posthumously inducted into the Minnesota Golf Association Hall of Fame.

1927: Played in the US Amateur Championship held at Minikahda Club, Minneapolis, MN.

Seven-time player in the Seniors National Golf at Apawamis Country Club in Rye, NY.

1931, 1934 & 1943: Winner of the Lakeland Open Golf Tournament, Eagle Creek Golf Course, Willmar, MN.

1928 & 1932: winner of the Birchmont Golf Tournament, Bemidji Town & CC, Lake Bemidji, MN.

Winner of five “Senior Trans-Mississippi” titles.

Winner of four Minnesota State Senior titles: 1926, 1927, 1928 and 1937.

Florida West Coast Senior Championship 1934, 36 and 39 winner and permanent possession of the Murry Guggenheim trophy.

1942: winner of the Detroit Lakes tournament, Detroit Lakes Country Club, Detroit Lakes, MN

D_N_Tallman_houseDN’s Original House c. 1910

David's House-011925 taken after adding an east addition and extensive exterior landscaping.

“Boomer” – Entrepreneur – Businessman

Biography of E. E. “Doc” Tallman written by William Tallman Hagny in the 1970’s

updated by distant cousin Jon Tallman 2015.

E.E. as a young manErwin Edwin Tallman, prominent Guthrie businessman and pioneer was known to most people in Guthrie and Logan County, Oklahoma as “E.E., or Doc”.  He was born Oct. 5, 1863 in Davenport, Iowa, 6th child and 3rd son of Darius Benham Tallman and Emeline Smith both of Dutchess County, N.Y.  His father had 10 surviving children 2 by his 1st wife Louisa Jane Gray and 8 by Emeline.  On Nov. 12, 1881 Erwin married Carrie Mae Sweet born April 5, 1865 in Greenboro, Ind., daughter of Eli Macy Sweet of Indiana and Martha Susan Risk of Virginia.  They were the parents of three daughters Mattie Emeline, Alice Mae and Bessie Mattie.  Mrs. Tallman died May 31, 1937 and Mr. Tallman died Sept. 6, 1952.  Both are buried in Summit View Cemetery, Guthrie.

E.E., Mattie E. Carrie May, AliceMattie was born June 3, 1883 in Davenport, Iowa and died April 30, 1972 in Santa Monica, Cal.  Mattie married Ernest Ludwig Hagny in Guthrie July 11, 1906 at her parent’s home by the Rev. Harry Omar Scott and honeymooned in the northern states.  Ernest, known by many as “Jack”, was born June 1, 1878 in Keokuk, Iowa and died Sept. 23, 1954 in Downey, Cal. Both are buried in Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery, Glendale, CA.  They were the parents of William Tallman Hagny, born June 8, 1907 and Alice Harryette Hagny born May 3, 1919 in Guthrie.  They first lived in Oklahoma City. Ernest, a railroad man, consequently made several moves with his family until 1917 when they settled in Denver, Colorado.  They resided there until his retirement when they moved to Downey.

Alice Tallman was born March 12, 1885 in Davenport and died Mar. 26, 1965 in Guthrie, where she is buried with her parents and a sister in Summit View Cemetery.  She married John William Martin Dec. 12, 1912 in the First Presbyterian Church by the Rev. G. O. Nichols.  They left for a honeymoon in San Antonio, TX.  The marriage however, was short-lived and after the divorce she resumed her maiden name.  “Miss Alice,” as she was known to her many friends in Guthrie, remained with her parents and assisting them with the businesses eventually becoming a co-owner.

Bessie was born Nov. 5, 1888 in Bentonville, Ark. and died in Guthrie, May 20, 1890, she too is interred in Summit View.

Mattie and Alice were educated locally at Carleton Guthrie Schools and both were attending Christian Female College (now Columbia College) in Columbia, Missouri in the years 1903 and 04.

A “Boomer” organization began growing in the 1880’s started by William Couch and here, I’ll make the assumption that Erwin saw an opportunity for a new future in Oklahoma Territory.  E.E. having been born, raised and married in Iowa made a temporary move to Bentonville, AR where they spent the winter of “88”.  Then on April 22nd, 1889 Erwin made the “Run” with a team and buckboard.  It’s estimated that nearly 14,000 made the “Run” that day with only 1000 staking a claim.  Erwin staked his homestead northeast of Guthrie, near where Summit View Cemetery is now located.Homestead ranch 1891

Mr. Tallman started the first dairy farm in Logan County and delivered milk which sold for five cents per quart and fifteen cents per gallon.  After two years of operating the dairy, he moved his family to Guthrie to the southwest corner of Division Street and Noble Avenue, where he established the first large “wagon yard”, feed store and livery stable.  In 1910 the feed store and livery grew with the addition of a large brick and frame structure added and he started one of the first automobile agencies selling Reo and Oldsmobile.  “Miss Alice” held the two-fold distinction of bookkeeper and driving instructor for the new automobile owners.  In later years it was again updated for servicing all automobiles, adding a filling station, yellow taxi cab and Greyhound bus station that he operated with his daughter.  The Tallman’s also had the distinction of having the first telephone in Guthrie with the number 1. The building suffered serious fire damage in 1946 but, was saved.  Today the building is on the Cities Historical list and is occupied by the Stables Restaurant.

EE Tallman Ph BkEarly Auto

In the year 1904, St. Louis held the “World’s Fair” in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Louisiana Purchase.  Erwin, Carrie, Mattie and Alice would take advantage by visiting the Expo and left Sep. 3, 1904 on the Santa Fe train.

In April 1906, Erwin with Jay E. Pickard purchased a lot at the corner of Division St. & Cleveland Ave. for real estate firm Milliken & Reynolds to build 100 room hotel and lease to hoteliers Van Dunn & Eaton.

Mr. Tallman held the distinction of serving for a half century as County-Weigher, a position to which he was regularly elected until his retirement.  He also served terms on the school board and city council and was active for many years in civic affairs.  He was a member of the First Presbyterian church, the Guthrie Lodge No. 35 AF & AM, Guthrie Country Club, the Oklahoma Consistory, and the 89ers Association.

Mrs. Carrie Mae Tallman came to Oklahoma a month after her husband; having lived in Bentonville for six months before the urge for adventure and the chance of making a business stake in the new territory took them to Guthrie. After moving to the southwest corner of Division St. and Noble Ave. from the dairy farm, Mrs. Tallman was active until a few weeks before her death.  She spent her time at the desk in the business which her husband owned and was well known throughout central Oklahoma.  By dint of hard work and sheer business enterprise she assisted in building up the transportation business that was synonymous with the Tallman name, and her personality lent an individual note to an occupation in which meeting of emergency was an everyday occurrence.  Mrs. Tallman was an early member of the Guthrie chapter of the Order of Eastern Star and the Presbyterian Church.  Her strong character that lent itself to business routine, had another side, although not openly displayed. She was a talented painter, her skillful handling of oils subjects were displayed in their home.

Today there exists several of “Doc” and Carrie’s descendants in California.Tallman Garage 2015-02 (c)